Are you an outdoor enthusiast? Do you visit restaurants frequently? Do you like listening music or watching television? Are you working every day? If yes, then you better use hearing aids.
Several other common diseases like diabetes, high blood pressure affect our hearing ability and can cause you hearing loss. You can make sure whether you’re suffering from hearing loss or not, by taking a hearing test.
An audiometric test also called as the hearing test is an exam of ears that checks a person’s hearing ability. The hearing test helps you find which kind of hearing loss you are having.
What to expect when a Hearing Test is Going on?
A hearing exam is brought off after the proper examination of your ears and you are handed over to the specialist.
Your nurse will be first asking you if you are feeling any of the symptoms mentioned below:
- Constant ringing or buzzing
- Ear pain
- Feeling of swaying or spinning
- Hearing impairment
- Other relevant medical issues
An apparatus called auroscope is used to examine your ears. An auroscope is nothing but a small handy torch which has a magnifying glass that helps the doctor to have a look of an eardrum and passageway. It is also used to see:
- Release of liquid from ear
- Cerumen (earwax) which may block the ear
- Otitis media – common childhood problem, where middle ear is full of liquid
Most of the hearing tests require you to react to a string of tones, words. While some of the hearing tests don’t need any response.
For different kind of age groups, there are different techniques for each age group. For the children the technologies are:
- Audiometric tests
- Otoacoustic emission test
For the adults the tests are:
- Perception of speech: In this test, you have to listen to the words without visualizing. The words are being played using headphones or earplugs.
- Whisper test: It’s a quick hearing test. One of your ears is blocked using a tester and words are whispered at different volumes.
- Weber test: This test is used to check conductive hearing impairment.
Results of Hearing Loss Test
An audiogram is used to display some of the hearing tests. It measures different volumes levels and sound frequencies that you are capable of hearing.
When compared to your ears, audiogram shows which kind of hearing impairment you are having. It’s important to know what kind of hearing loss you’re suffering from as it helps to determine the treatment you will be requiring.
To examine children and adults for hearing test, many schools arrange free hearing tests when children begin schooling.
With the growing age, our hearing ability seems to decrease. Hearing loss has gotten worse in past years, especially at an older age. There are many organizations that arrange free hearing tests for seniors.
Are you still suspicious about your hearing ability? Get your hearing checked now.