Summer is around the corner and the much awaited sunshine and warmth will be welcomed by many. Whatever your plans are for the summer remember to protect your skin from the sun in order to retain youthful radiance.
Sun burn causes premature ageing. Also, over exposure to UV rays is the main cause of skin cancer. In the UK more than 8 out 10 cases of the most serious type of skin cancer called melanoma can be prevented through enjoying the sun safely and avoiding sunburn.
How can we enjoy the sunshine without causing damage to our skin? The best way to enjoy the sun and protect your skin at the same time can be achieved from a combination of things – staying under shade, wearing protective clothing and using sunscreen.
Shade – spending time under shade such as being indoors or under a tree or canopy is one of the best ways to protect you from the UV rays.
Covering up – If there is no shade around the next best way to protect your skin is by wearing loose clothing, sunhats and sunglasses. The more skin that’s covered by clothing the better the protection. Hats are great for covering the head, eyes and face.
Sunscreens cannot protect us completely on its own that’s why a combination of shade, clothing and sunscreen will benefit us most. Sunscreens are very useful in protecting parts of the body which are exposed.
For your sunscreen to work at its optimum:
- Make sure you apply enough on
- Reapply regularly as its gets rubbed off or washed away easily. Even sunscreens that are water resistant or water proof need to be reapplied after going into the water.
- Apply to dry and clean skin
- Do not store your sunscreen in a hot place as the heat can ruin the protective chemicals
- Make sure the sunblock is not expired
Dermalogica skin care products offer a range of products to help protect the skin from UV rays and some products to give relief and comfort after been exposed to the sun.
When choosing a sunblock look for a broad spectrum one as this protects you from both UVA and UVB rays.
Protection 50 sport SPF50 is a highly recommended sunblock from Dermalogica. It is a water resistant and broad spectrum sunblock that defends against prolonged skin damage from UV light and environmental damage. Oleosome microspheres help enhance SPF performance and counteract moisture loss triggered by extended daylight exposure. It is a lightweight formula that neutralises damage and bind moisture to skin without a greasy after feel.
Dermalogica have also created a soothing treatment balm that helps repair damage from sun exposure. This is the Aftersun Repair Balm which cools the skin and reduces discomfort.
Other products that protect the skin from sun rays in the Dermalogica skin care range are:
- Dynamic skin recovery SPF50 which helps you achieve absolute hydration and defends against internal and external causes of skin ageing. This moisturiser is amazing as it contains AGE SMART ingredients to fight skin ageing radicals and also has broad spectrum SPF that regulates the formation of collagen degrading MMPs brought on by UV rays.
- Oil clearing matte moisturiser is a moisturiser that minimises oil and shine but still offers a shield against UV rays.
- Pure Light SPF50 shields the skin from UV-induced hyperpigmentation. It features Oleosome technology which uses natural plant spheres filled with sunscreens to increase SPF protection.
- Oil free matte SPF30 is a lightweight broad spectrum sunscreen which helps prevent shine, regulates oil production and soothes inflammation.
- Solar Defense Booster SPF50 defends against UVA and UVB. This sunscreen can be added to your daily moisturiser or foundation.
- Ultrasensitive Tint SPF30 is another broad-spectrum sunscreen that shields the skin against skin ageing and irritating UV damage.
Enjoy the sun while protecting your skin too – choose the sunscreen that best suits your skin type.